Thursday, May 31, 2007

PDF to HTML to DOC - Oh My!

I am experimenting with converting Adobe Acrobat .pdf files to either .doc or .xls in order to import them to a database.

Here's myproblem: The inspection program that the company I contract for requires me to run does not allow it's users to print any information to text files including open inspections or history regarding completed orders. I'd love to be able to keep information on properties I've inspected previously in a database or at least a spreadsheet or word document so that I could refer back to it once I receive a request to complete another inspection on the same property. Mainly, so I could quickly see a photo, remember what the property looks like and where exactly on a particular street it's located, and the condition it was in at the time of the last inspection. Basically, I'd like to have all the information in one place and the software provided to field inspectors does not allow you to lookup any info on previous inspections except for date completed and order number.

I was thinking, though, if I got my order list converted from .pdf to .doc or .xls format, then I should be able to import that information into a database. Once there's about a month's worth of data is in the database, I should be able to maintain it with little effort which would save time and effort on my part of going through the same iterations of printing, cutting, pasting, scanning and re-printing every few days.

So, while perusing my options, I discovered that GMail allows you to convert a .pdf to .html quickly using their 'See it now' feature. All you do is this:

  1. Login to your Gmail account and compose a new email
  2. Put your own gmail email address in the 'To' field
  3. Attach the .pdf file you want to convert to .html and click 'Send'
  4. The message will appear in your Gmail Inbox. Click it, then choose to view the attachment as .html
  5. One step further and you can convert that to a .txt file. While viewing the .html file from step 4, just click 'File' then 'Save As' and choose to save the file in .txt format
Neat little feature - and the best thing is, you don't have to install any new conversion software and it's free!

1 comment:

Chris the Geek said...

I used to do this in my job, and I always had a lot of trouble. Anyways, I think your blog is pretty awesome. I'd be glad to offer you one of my awesome, super soft Geekfitters.com shirts in exchange for a link. Go here for details or email me.

Best,

Chris Geek