Thursday, October 25, 2007

snag it - i'm impressed

Tuesday night, I stayed up way too late trying to figure out how to capture flash video that wasn't contained on a page with a URL. I needed to capture a flash video that I made with JibJab's new Starring You applet for a project I was working on. I downloaded two programs, Replay Media Catcher and FLV Recorder, but neither would capture the video with our faces instead of the JibJab actors.

The reason I stayed up so late was because I knew there was a way to do it because I saw some of these videos on YouTube. It really drives me nuts when I know there's a way to do something and I can't figure it out. So, I left a comment on one of the YouTube videos to ask what program they were able to capture the video with then went to bed.

The next morning, I checked my email and had a reply to my comment; the guy used a shareware program called Snag It. I anxiously downloaded the program which is about 13 MB and ran it. It has a GUI user-friendly interface and did exactly what I needed. I was able to window in on the region I wanted to record and the quality of the AVI video output was much better than I expected it to be.

I was really impressed with the program - it's simple to use and simple to save your capture. The program also offers an editing feature which I haven't yet tried, but probably will in the future. The software offers a free 30-day trial and from what I could tell, you get to use the program without limitations. It's only $39.95 to buy and register, so it's affordable as well. I'm goin to play around some more with Snag It during my 30-day free trial; especially the capture editing features, and plan to buy the software after my trial ends.

No comments: